Step 1: Things You Will Need:
2.) Edge lit profile,end caps,and spring loaded pins and screws all sized to your piece of Acrylic- www.harborsales.net
Example of cost 12 inch profile 2 end caps and 2 pins cost $19.78
3.) Access to Co2 laser cutter- if you cant access one at a local area shop you can visit www.ponoko.com
to purchase acrylic and upload design to have it lasered into the acrylic.
4.) LED strips or light tape- www.superbrightleds.com or visit you local auto parts store advance auto or even wal-mart. usually cost about $18.00 to $25.00.
5.) Design software- Any design software Corel draw, Adobe Illustrator etc.
6.) Bernzomatic torch starter kit- www.bernzomatic.com used to polish edge of acrylic cost 39.99 to 50.00.
Step 2: Prepare the Design:
2 .) Get a mirror image of the design, using the horizontal flip or mirrored feature of the graphics program that you will be using, so that it can be engraved on the back of the acrylic panel and viewed from the smooth front. If the design contains color or shading, change it to black-and-white format.
Remember: Engravings cannot have any shadings, they must be in solid black and white.
Step 3: Laser the Acrylic Panel:
1) When reverse engraving on the back side of the acrylic: the graphic and text should be mirrored to make it ready for reading from the front. The mirror function is easily accomplished using the mirror tool in Corel DRAW or Adobe Illustrator, or the program of your choice.This function usually has an icon displayed on the top of the page or it can be accomplished by pressing Alt + F9.
**Forgetting to mirror the graphic is a common mistake and one I have certainly made more than I admit. As a check of my layout skills I will use a green tinted polyester mask over the top of the acrylic piece and engrave at very low power *(5% power, 100% speed on a 40 watt laser system) adjust accordingly. After I am sure the graphic is correct and engraving in the right position, remove the mask and engrave at the right power for acrylic.
Step 4: Assemble the Sign:
2) LED tape and strips usually have 3M tape along the back side remove tape backing and secure in place in middle of profile channel. Connect the power supply according to the manufacturer's instructions and switch the LED's on and off to check operation.
3) Place the engraved acrylic panel inside the frame with the smooth surface toward the front.
4) Clean the back and front with a soft cloth.*** Do Not Use a Paper Towels, or any Ammonia Based Cleaners
5) Switch on the LEDs to view the sign.
Step 5: Cleaning and Polishing and Edge Burning Acrylic
2.) Once a piece of acrylic has been cleaned, its brilliance can really shine through with engraving While cleaning acrylic can bring out the its quality, sometimes the acrylic can be damaged in the cleaning process. Knowing the proper cleaning techniques is extremely important as it retains the desired qualities of acrylic.
** Key Points in Cleaning Acrylic:
Never use paper towels, the fibers in the paper towel act like fine sandpaper and make the surface cloudy.
Do not use window cleaner or any other alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners as they will react with the acrylic
Photo credits: www.tapplastics.com
Step 6: What I'll Do With the Laser Cutter If I Win!
Photo credits: www.hurricanelasers.com