Instructables

Finishing Details for the Electrostatic Turbine

Picture of Finishing Details for the Electrostatic Turbine
pixg.JPG
Intro3.JPG
pix1.JPG
pix2.JPG
pix3.JPG
pixa.JPG
pixb.JPG
pixf.JPG
pixe.JPG
pixd.JPG
pixc.JPG
fig1.JPG
fig4.JPG
   Finishing details for my electrostatic turbine (EST) described in a previous tutorial (http://www.instructables.com/id/Improved-Electrostatic-Turbine-Made-from-Recyclabl/) are provided here. The EST is a motor that uses a high voltage DC power supply, such as a Van de Graaff generator, high potential transformer or electronic air purifier,  to spin a plastic rotor. 

I. Prepping & Painting
   I disassembled the EST and laid out the parts for easier reassembly before painting. The electrode surfaces were prepped with 180 grit sandpaper. I used two coats of acrylic hobby paint (blue for ground & red for hot). BTW, the upturned project base was a useful stand for drying the electrodes. When the paint dried, I sanded the leading edges with extra-fine paper to remove any paint residue. 

   All cardboard surfaces were prepped with Ceramcoat, a water based sealant, before brushing on two coats of acrylic.
Important: Pop nylon bearings from the housing end caps before prepping and painting; otherwise, axle may bind in the bearings b/c of debris. The sky blue color of the two housing end caps was accidental; I didn't rinse the brush thoroughly w/thinner after using the blue paint.  After brush painting the bearing retainer caps and then coloring the rotor caps w/a black Sharpie, the painting was done.

II. Last Minute Upgrades 
   Before bolting everything together, I rolled the rotor on a desktop to remove some troublesome air pockets under the plastic tape. These pockets would catch the electrode edges causing the turbine to stall. Reassembly took less than 5 minutes. An upcycled, wood jewelry box replaced the black plastic project base.

III. Test Run
   I had to crank the input voltage to 10 kV before the turbine came to life. (A few drops of high grade compressor oil should help reduce the starting voltage -- thanks for that tip, Petercd!).  At 17 kV with a draw of 1 mA, the corona discharge glow was bright enough for thse pictures that were taken with no other lighting source!

IV. Performance Evals
   I used black thread to perform a vertical lift of a 1 oz container of Phili Cream Cheese (0.028 Kg, ignoring the plastic container weight) 21.5 inches (0.54 m) from the floor in 2.50 sec. Beyond that height, the rotor stalled b/c of internal sparking. This was enough data to calculate the following specs for the turbine.

   Using some high school physics, the downward force exerted on a mass by acceleration due to gravity was: (0.028 Kg) X (9.8 meter/sec/sec) = 0.27 Newton. Power output of the turbine was: (0.27 Nt) X (0.54 m)/2.5 sec = 0.058 Watts. Consequently, turbine efficiency as defined by mechanical power output/electrical power input was: 0.058 W/(17,000 volts x 0.001 Amp) X 100% = 0.34%. Not very impressive, but the project still looks cool sitting on my bookshelf :>D.


Very interesting !! I have heard of putting a "spinner" on top of a tesla coil but never anything like this. Excellent construction & Inst' Cheers!
brazilero2008 (author)  Lectric Wizard1 year ago
Thanks. More projects on the way!