An invader from the steppes of Mother Russia. The Russian Thistle(sasoli kali) is a common garden pest. The weed is easy to pull, but a problem remains, what do you do with the massive amount of fibre material?
Simple, turn it into something you can heat your house with, firelogs.
Materials and Tools
1. Russian Thistle, about 1/2 cubic yard of freshly pulled will be enough for one log when its dried
2. Shredded paper from your shredder, any other type of cardboard or cardstock. The residual ligin in the paper helps bind the log together.
3.A 5 gallon plastic bucket and water
4. A plastic flower window box as a mold
5. An electric drill(1/2") with a stucco mixing paddle.
6. A piece of plywood that fits over the top of the window box
7. Cinder block
(Optional)A garden chipper and wheat paste .
Step 1: Do the Crunch
Take your thistle and let it dry until its crunchy. Then smash it up with whatever you have. Feet work ok, wear boots! If your have a chipper, grind up the big roots and stems.