Step 1: Tools and Ingredients
• Ladle for filling freezer bags
• Tomato Shark (see picture) or small paring knife for coring tomatoes
• Zip-Loc Freezer bags' - 1Qt bags are good if you are going to make sauce later on
• Bench/Pastry Scraper (See Picture) for cleanup of tomato carnage (optional but great)
• Stockpot for blanching tomatoes, the bigger the better
• Large bowls for cooling blanched tomatoes and holding tomatoes. Stainless works best.
• Long Handle Strainer (See Picture) to pull tomatoes out of boiling water. Small strainer works too.
• Paring knife for everything else
Tomatoes for freezing and enjoying later. Almost any variety works. However, Roma's and Brandywines are great for making into sauce later.
I've found it takes about 2 lbs of raw tomatoes to make one 1Qt frozen. 20lbs = 10 Qt's in the freezer. You can often find really good deals at your locals farmers market in late August/Early September. I recently paid as little as $20 for 25lbs of organic Heirloom Roma's. It pays to buy in bulk.