Gandalf the Grey, a wizard in the book "Lord of the Rings," used a magical staff that he used to illuminate tombs, fight off goblins, and to destroy the Belrog, an ancient and terrifying monster. We recreated the staff used in the film adaption of the book series.
- Unprimed Muslin (any heavy cloth)
- 3 shades of brown paint
- 1 inch brush
- Wood glue
- LED Flashlight
- Soldering Gun with Solder
- Glue gun
-Electrical Tape Paint
- 3 wires of about 5 inch length
- Thick cardboard tube, about 5 feet long
- Salt Shaker
Step 1: Step 1: Wrapping the Staff
1. Mix wood glue and water in a bowl until it forms a pancake batter-like mixture. Equal amounts of each solution in the mixture.
*it is optional to add a brown paint to this mixture for a base coat
2. Soak cloth in mixture until completely soaked
3. Then, slowly wrap the cloth around the cardboard tube.
Let staff dry for 1 day
5. After the staff has dried, paint it with a combination of the different shades of paint. First add the base coat, than the details. Make it look like tree bark.