Introduction: Gas (petrol) Powered Jeep From Ride on Mower
This project started with some pictures on the internet of a mini jeep built onto the chassis of a ride on mower with an I/C engine..... I had to have a go at building one for myself!
It it not far from finished and I hope to be riding it around in the summer.
This build needs a lot of space and equipment to make it happen, I am lucky to have both of those....oh, and a lifetimes experience of designing and constructing things. There are kits out there on the web that can be built using a basic tool box and woodworking skills so if the idea of building one of these for the grand kids appeals to you, go google!.
Step 1: Starting Point
I found the tractor lurking in the corner of the yard of a local car repair shop, folding stuff changed hands and I had my base vehicle.
An hours work and a few new parts had the engine running and the gearbox tested.....those front wheels though, who has seen a jeep with small front wheels?
Soon replaced with some nice wide wheels the same size as at the back!
Step 2: The Design
Once I was happy with the design I looked at extending the chassis, front and rear to accept the bodywork.
The material chosen for the chassis was 100mm X 50mm steel box section.... as I had some knocking around the workshop.
Step 3: Chassis Build One
I rested the grill on to get a better idea of how it was looking....To find out how to make the grill see below :)
Step 4: Chassis Build Two
Rear bumper and outriggers were then cut and welded
Step 5: Grill
The shape was cut out of 1/2" marine plywood which is then covered in 1/2mm aluminium sheet this was cut out and swaged around the wooden former.
Brackets were made to mount it to the front bumper.
Step 6: Front Wings
I have found that plastic twinwall sheet, the stuff used for house "for sale" signs, is very good for making templates. It can be cut with a scalpel and easily bent in one direction only so work out the best way round to use it. Once it was offered up to the chassis and adjusted it was time to transfer the dimensions to metal.
Wing tops cut folded and welded in place.
Step 7: Tub, Sides
A big job in very few words.....
Tub sides were cut from 0.7mm sheet steel, bent to shape and offered up to the chassis.
I then folded/rolled/bent/welded a stiffening frame from 10mm square steel tube.
Step 8: Tub, Scuttle and Bonnet
Steering system and seat were removed to make space for the scuttle, this will end up being a very rare 2 seater right hand drive jeep!
Scuttle was then cut folded and welded onto the tub, the whole lot recieved a coat of red oxide paint to prevent rust.
...too late for the bonnet steel which had got wet whilst waiting for me to work it :(
Step 9: Screen
This is where I am at at the moment, jobs left to do
- Paint it
- Install lights
- Re-wire it all
- Install the bench seat (back seat from a swb series land rover)
- Take it for a drive
If it ever stops raining I will get on with this to get ready for summer, I will update here when I do!
Step 10: At Last, Nearly Done!
The poor jeep slipped down the to do list for a while but is back to the top, in the last few weeks I have finished fabricating all the metal work and painted most of it.
The interior is also ready to instal (I didn't like the look of the land rover seat so have gone for 2 plastic seat pans). Mounted so that they tilt forward to allow access to the battery box.
Step 11: Going Green
The painting moves on apace, semi gloss olive drab. Just the windscreen and front wheels to do....I await delivery of more paint :(
Step 12: Assembly
Last weekend (30-aug-13) I installed the body tub grill and dashboard then wired it all up.
With a splash of fuel in the tank and the battery installed it started on the second turn of the key! That is the first time in 2 years that it has run.
I would have taken it out for a run round but I could not find the circlips that hold the wheels on and the fuel pipe had perished and was leaking onto the exhaust manifold.