I made about 15 such pendants and gifted them in the last Burning Man (2013). It was a blast :)
Short warning - I did not have direct access to a laser cutter at the time, so this design is not perfect. You'll need to make small adjustments to the parts you cut, so make some extra parts. Just in case.
Also, note that the pendant is asymmetrical.So make sure you align all the parts properly before cutting and gluing. I guess next time I should add "up" and "down" engravings on the pieces themselves.
Step 1: Materials
- 5mm slow flashing LED. Or a fast flashing LED, it's up to you
- 3mm Plywood sheet
- 1mm clear or "frosty" acrylic. 1.5 and 2mm should be OK too - as you'll see later on, we make several layers anyway
- CR2032 battery
- Two M2 (or is it 2M ) screws, 16mm long
- One 1/4" x 1/8" x 1/8" Block Neodymium Magnet N45 (or stronger)
- Two 3mm x 5mm Cylinder Neodymium Rare Earth Magnets N45 (or stronger)
- 400 grit sandpaper (to make clear acrylic look "frosty")
- Epoxy glue
- Superglue with a small tip
- Optional - conductive glue (you'll see why)
Below you can find the design as DXF and as PDF files. Make sure you used the right material for each file.
Files are now also available in SVG format.