This Gotye and Kimbra couples costume from the music video "Somebody That I Used to Know" is the perfect topical costume for Halloween 2012. If you haven't heard the Gotye song "Somebody That I Used to Know" on the radio or seen the music video you must be living under a rock. With over 300 million youtube views it is one of the highest viewed videos on youtube EVER!
I love it because its not an overly flashy music video, but it still fascinating to watch. Throw on a leotard + some body paint and you have a great story and costume!
With the help of some friends, I recreated the music video backdrop and costumes with little more than body paint and a pair of leotard. I admit its an edgy costume, but edgy costumes are the best in my opinion!
Check out this time-lapse video of how this instructable was made. It was shot over a 9 hour period.
Step 1: Materials
Here are the materials and where to find them
- Body Suit (for girl): from American Apparel
- Cotton Spandex Leggings (for boy): from American Apparel
- Kryolan Aquacolor Body Paint: I bought an array of colors and mixed them together to get desired colors.
- Black Bob Wig: I borrowed this from a friend, but a quick search for wigs in your area should come up with lots of results
- Paint Brushes and Sponges: I bought special sponges to be used with the body paint, but I used craft brushed instead of specialty paint brushed for makeup because they are less expensive.
- Baby Wipes
- Fixer Spray: once the paint is dry spray some fixer spray on it to make sure it doesn't smudge.