Introduction: Halloween Stamped Tortilla Chips
What's a party without chips and dip? It never seems to fail, chips and dip are a staple at most parties, events and holidays. This is a quick and fun way to dress up any plate of chips and dip. Rubber stamp selections are endless so this would work for any event!
I enjoy Halloween and am so very impressed when people make gross and gory costumes, props and food, however, I am not extremely thrilled to eat anything that actually looks like blood or guts. I would say I'm more of a cute Halloween food eater!
If you are anything like me and don't want your Halloween guests to be completely grossed out by everything being served (or if you are serving children) you could make these simple homemade stamped tortilla chips. They are sure to be eaten and will nicely accompany a gory food event if that's your theme.
These chips can be prepared one or two days in advance and stored in an airtight container until the party guests arrive. When the event starts serve with your favorite dip(s).
Step 1: Gather Supplies
You will need the following items to make stamped tortilla chips:
- corn tortillas
- NEW UNUSED Halloween themed rubber stamps
- food coloring
- clean unused paint brushes
- plastic or paper plate
- paper towel(s)
- baking sheet(s)
Step 2: Stamp Tortillas
1. Wash and dry rubber stamps.
2. Brush a thin layer of food coloring (I used Wilton Icing Colors) on a plastic plate with a paint brush.
3. Press rubber stamp into the food coloring making sure to coat all parts of the stamp.
4. Press stamp firmly onto corn tortilla.
5. Recoat stamp with food coloring and continue stamping until you get desired pattern.
6. Let tortillas sit 5-10 minutes before cutting.
***When stamping around the edges of the tortilla place a paper towel under the tortilla so the underneath surface doesn't get stained with food coloing.
***If you want to use the stamps later with ink in the traditional application you will be able to. The food coloring washes off entirely without staining.
Step 3: Cut and Bake Tortillas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut tortillas in fours.
Arrange tortillas in a single layer on baking sheet(s).
Bake tortillas 15-18 minutes (flipping once half way through) or until tortillas are crisp and golden brown.
Serve with your favorite dip.