This is my first attempt at draping on a dress form! This dress is made from hand-dyed, lightweight silk and big, fat elastic.
My silk is 36" wide.
Step 1: Dye the Silk
- In a pot, add enough water to cover your silk. Add a splash of vinegar, about 1/4 cup vinegar to 4 cups of water.
- Submerge the silk in the pot, making sure it is completely saturated.
- Let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Add food coloring to get desired color.
- Simmer silk for about 10 minutes, watching closely and stirring occasionally.
- Let stand until most or all of the dye has been absorbed, and it is has cooled.
- Rinse silk, and hang to dry.