Introduction: Handy Snack and Drink Platter
This handy snack platter is designed to hold a wine glass and is perfect for braai time or for entertaining, or even for special events. We made ours from a piece of scrap laminated pine, but you can choose any type of wood to make your own snack platter.
YOU WILL NEED:
Piece of pine or other timber cut to 220mm x 360mm
Woodoc gel stain - we used cherrywood
Rag or sponge
Butcher block conditioner or food-safe oil
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
Dremel multitool and sanding ring or,
120- and 240-grit sandpaper
Tape measure and pencil
Step 1: Making the Platter
1. Use a template to draw for the cut out that will hold a wine glass.
2. Use this same shape for the handle to hold the platter.
3. Use a jigsaw to cut out the shapes. Don't worry if the cutting is rough, you can sand this smooth.
4. While you can use sandpaper to smooth all the cut edges, a Dremel rotary multitool and sanding ring makes the task far easier and much faster.
5. Stain the board with Woodoc gel stain, or leave natural if you prefer.
6. Finish off with Butcher Block Conditioner or a non-degradable and food safe oil. Grape seed or mineral oil are also suitable. Bear in mind that any finishing needs to be applied regularly to maintain a waterproof finish.
Now you have a snack platter - time to grab some more wood and make more!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.