There are two crucial characteristics that make any secret compartment successful at keeping your personal effects truly personal. The first is that the access point of the compartment must be hidden from sight. The second is that the compartment must be very easy to access. This is important as there may come a time where you need to access the contents of the compartment, but do not have time to dig something out of your yard or pry off some floorboard underneath the furnace.
This instructable will show you how to create a hidden compartment that fits these specifications perfectly, allowing easy access to a well hidden secret compartment.
This Instructable will show you how to create a hidden compartment in a hollow core door. This compartment will be able to hold a standard sized hanging folder, which you may used to hide any relatively thin secret object. The compartment is incredibly easy to access, simply needing to be able to reach the top of the door either standing on the ground or with the help of a stool or chair.
Step 1: Materials
- Hollow core door
- Hanging folder
- Paint mixing stick (Got mine from Home Depot)
- Wood Glue
- Curtain rod mount/bracket about ( Can also be replaced with small piece of wood if bracket cannot be found )
- Circular Saw (I used a plywood blade)
- Drill (With the smallest bit you own)
- Carpenter's file
- Small clamps
- Band clamps (or some way to keep the door still when sawing)