Step 6: Caramel and Peanut Layer
- Combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 1.5 Tablespoons butter, and pound of caramels in the (cleaned) small pot.
- Heat on low, stirring frequently, until the caramels have melted into the milk and butter. Be careful not to burn the caramel - it can stick if you're not careful! (I toasted mine slightly, which turned out to be just fine. Check out the pics below to see how I created a thicker pot bottom.)
- Allow to cool until it's not going to burn you.
- Coarsely chop the 1.5 cup peanuts, and stir into the caramel.
- Pour caramel/peanut mixture into your pan, and spread in an even layer.
- Stick the pan back in the freezer to set.
Note: I accidentally (don't ask) added the peanuts into the nougat layer, which is not the canonical Snickers format and breaks up the nougat's mouth feel. While you can do it as pictured, I recommend following my written instructions for better results.