In the past People have asked me to put up an Instructable on how to build a helmet. So, for all you people, Here goes.
As the title says, this Instructable will deal with building a Spangen Helm. Since I wanted something a little more unique I went with a 5 panel instead of the standard 4, and used shaped bands rather than straight ones.
Although the finished helm has a bar grill I neglected to add a bar grill step to this Instructable. The reason for this is that it was my first bar grill and I had a surprisingly difficult time making it. Until I've gotten a little better at them I don't want to try and teach someone else how to make one.
Step 1: Tools and Supplies I Used
Here's a list of what I used for this project. Not everything here is mandatory, a lot of these tools could be dropped entirely or else have other tools substituted for them.
- A Sharpy
- A Meter Stick or Straight Edge.
- A Fabric Tape Measure
- Empty Cereal Boxes, Bristol Board, or something of that nature.
- 14 and 13 gauge sheet metal.
- About a foot of 1" flat stock
- About a foot of 1/2" flat stock
- About 3 feet of 1/4" round stock
- A Jigsaw
- Aviation Shears
- A Chisel
- A Drill and 1/8" Drill Bit
- A Deep Dish
- A Shallow Dish
- A Dishing Hammer
- A Cross Peen/Machinists Hammer
- A T Stake
- A Ball Stake
- An Anvil Shaped Object*
- A small Ball Peen Hammer
- Side Cutters
- Cleco temporary rivets and pliers
OR Small Nuts and Bolts.
- A Belt Sander
- A Bench Grinder
- A Planishing Hammer
*most any large hunk of steel will work for this.