Many hours thinking i came to a conclusion. If im going to be traveling through time, the actual time machine would have to be timeless (not out of place in the past, present day, or the future)
So eventually i decided to make something that resembled a time piece, mixed with an old compass, and various other inspirations, some from various steam punk items.
However i did not want to make something that was steam punk, as i personally find alot of steam punk to be a bit over comic like, and a bit to fantastical.
So, heres how i did it.
Materials consist of -
Alot of scrap and junk
Some thicker mount card
A few Special oddments - for me this was the lenses.
Step 1: Building a base
Firstly, i set about cutting out some ring shaped pieces of card, As you can see from the pics below.
Obviously, you could just create this thing from scratch using cardboard. But i think a good scavinge can always turn a good result - The metal sections in the first picture are off an old repromaster! bout 20,000 pounds worth of kit in there day ( we recently scraped ours)
I basically used these as a shape to trace onto the card.
Cut as many as you like to give it a good depth that your happy with.
I recommend corrugated card as it is easily to get a thick depth, its easy to cut, and great for gluing in later steps.
Step 2: Lots, and lots of glue!
picture 2 - Holding the inside cover the out side in PVA Glue, make sure you get it all in the gaps, soak it in the stuff. Then do the same for the inside.
Picture 3 - Glue your scavenged parts to the top and bottom - i found that PVA was strong enough to hold them in place.
Picture 4 - Finally just glue a strip of paper around the outside and inside to neaten it up
Leave to dry over night, or longer if you can wait.
Step 3: A bit of paint
Step 4: Filling in the middle
Picture 1 - the main part of my time machine is a big lens that i got off the repromaster, i constructed a small tube for this, and added a little circular metal ring ontop also, again paint everything card like black.
Pictures 2 and 3 - Using various parts, i then played around to get a good fit, - most my inside were taken from the inside of hardrives, cd drive, and old floppy drives and a few other bits and bobs.
The key is to use your own creativity, and lots and lots of super glue! (bout 8 tubes for me)
Step 5: More rubbish
As you mite notice there are some bits that have been broken off, again, all part of the creativity.
I added a few 'bolt' esque pieces poking out of one side.
Remeber to take your time, and play around, working out what looks best.
Step 6: Painting the metal.
Picture 1 - Carefully pic any sections you dont want to paint and mask them off - For me this was the lense and the leather, and a few other small bits.
Picture 2 - This is after painting, i removed the masking around the edge, but left the lens covered up to prevent damage later on.
Picture 3 - ok, no to take some of that paint off, i used a combo of power tools, sand paper, and a scapel - basically take off the edges to reveal some of the metal underneath. Take off a little, take off alot, its upto you!
Step 7: Finished, wait a minute, whats that cool box?
So we need a secure box to keep it locked up.
Im not going to tell you how to build a wooden box, just how to customize it, (plus i bort the bottom half of the box ready made)
Picture 2 - here we see the top of the box - which has like a sun/lens/thingy. Although i didnt take any pictures, i cut a hole clean out the top.
Step 8: Glue!
Picture 2 - Mask off the lens it self
Picture 3 - Glue around the edge of the lens, and use the excess to hold it in place underneath
Picture 4 - Sand off the excess ontop.
The lens ive used here is again off the repromaster - For this section i printed off a picture of the sun, and taped it to the underneath.
Also for this bit you can use anything, a hunk of metal, a pebble, what ever you think looks cool.
Step 9: Decor
Then you stick tin foil over the card, and trim.
Paint, or colour the foil in with a permanent marker.
And than sand some of it away to give a distressed look.
Finally, i cobbled together some pieces into a make shift key, and then drilled a hole in the front to fit.