Step 1: Supplies and Ingredients
-Computer with Microsoft Word (or equivalent software)
To Make the Cookies:
-2 large egg whites
-1/2 cup flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
-Non-stick cooking spray or butter
-Whisk or fork
-Clean thin cotton glove or paper towel (to protect you from getting burned)
Step 2: Fortune Ideas
<name>, don't go to sleep tonight.
You should buy <your name> dinner.
Good things will come your way if you walk through doorways backwards.
<name>, will you marry me?
Sorry <name>, but she doesn't like you.
I'm stuck in the cookie factory, send help!
He who rubs cook's back gets good meal.
Stop being a cheapskate and pay the tip.
Step 3: Create Your Fortunes
1) Open a new document.
2) Write your fortune, making sure it will fit on a 2 x 1/2 inch piece of paper.
Advanced option, use the column or table function to create columns that are 2 inches wide .
3) Add a black square to the top right of each fortune for an authentic touch.
4) Print your fortunes.
5) Cut out into 2 x 1/2 inch slips using scissors, leaving a portion of the black square on the corner.
The Old Fashioned Way
1) Cut paper into 2 x 1/2 inch strips
2) Using a non-toxic pen, write down your fortunes
Step 4: Baking Preparation
2) Grease your cookie sheet with non-stick spray or butter
Step 5: Separate Eggs
1) Gently crack the egg down the middle and pull it apart over your bowl while keeping the egg yolk in one half.
2) Pour the yolk back and forth between the eggshell halves, letting the egg whites fall into the bowl.
3) Save the egg yolks if you will use them in another recipe, if not you can throw them away.
Step 6: Mix the ingredients
If you do not have a whisk, a fork can be used, but it will take longer.
2) Add flour, sugar, and almond or vanilla extract.
3) Mix thoroughly until smooth.
The batter may seem too thick at first (like a dough), but keep mixing. If it doesn't become thinner, add another egg white.
Step 7: Place on Cookie Sheet
1) Put approximately 1 Tbs of batter onto the cookie sheet.
2) Using the back of the spoon, spread the batter into a circle approximately 3-4 inches in diameter.
Step 8: Bake Cookies
Step 9: Place the Fortune on the Cookie
CAUTION - COOKIES WILL BE HOT. WEAR GLOVES or you will get BURNED if you are too slow.
1) Using the spatula, remove the cookie from the cookie sheet
2) Place the fortune in the center of the cookie
3) Fold two edges of the cookie into the center.
4) Fold over the edge of a cup, with the back down, to give the cookie its distinct shape
5) Place in a muffin tin or other container so the cookie will retain its shape while cooling
6) Allow to cool completely. (15-30 minutes)
If it is humid, the cookies may still be too soft even after cooling. If so, leave in a warm, dry place overnight.