Introduction: How to Program ATtiny85 With Arduino UNO
How to program Attiny85 with Arduino UNO in most easy way
Step by step tutorial, with no steps to skip by Awesome PCB.
Step 1 - What do we need?
Step 2 - Connecting Arduino board with ArduShield and ATtiny85
Step 3 - Setup Arduino IDE
Step 4 - LED set up on bread board
Step 5 - Programming and veryfiacation
Step 6 - Additional tips hot to improve your experience with Arduino and ArduShield
Word of introduction
As it is known, we can program ATtiny25/45/85 with Arduino UNO.
Thear lot of way to do this. You can connect Attiny85 to Arduino UNO via cables, but there is an easier way to do this.
Than main target of this instructable is to show you how to do this with low effort and with only USB cabel.
You can download PDF directly from here.
Step 1: What Do We Need?
What do we need?
1. Arduino UNO ( could be also Arduino Micro or Arduino Nano).
2. ArduSHIELD – most universal shield for Arduino boards.
3. Bread board.
4. LED to check result if everything is working fine.zz
5. Resistor from the range 220R to 2k – current limiter for LED.
7. USB B cable (depent what type of Arduino board you will use)
8. Arduino IDE
Step 2: Connecting Arduino Board With ArduShield and Attiny85
1. Connect ArduShield with Arduino Uno board.
2. Put the ArduShield on the Arduino Uno and press down gently up to the point where it stops.
3. ArduShield have dedicated socket for programming ATtiny85
4. Now it is time to place ATtiny85 on socket.
Make sure that pin 1 of the ATtiny85 will be placed properly on ArduShield.
Place Attiny85 on ArduSHIELD, and press down gently ATtiny85 up to the point where it stops.
Step 3: Set Up Arduino IDE
1. Now when you are ready with hardware, it's time to configure the Arduino IDE.
Open Arduino IDE.
First we need to setup Arduino UNO in ISP programming mode
Go to top toolbar and open File > Examples > ArduinoISP
2. Second set up comunication chanel between PC and Arduino
3. Upload (Ctrl+U) program to Arduino UNO
4. Now open classic Arduino blink LED sketch.
5. Now make small modyfication in the code.
Blinking sketch is connected with pin 13 of Arduino Uno. We need to change this.
ATtiny85 have only 6 I/O pins, so instead of pin 13 setup pin 0.
6. Save your sketch in convinient place on PC drive(Ctrl+Shift+S)
7. Now go to top toolbar and set up proper ATtiny85 like a target device Tools > Board > ATtiny85
Step 4: LED Set Up on Bread Board
Place LED and resistor like it is shown on the picture.
Step 5: Programming and Verification
1. Up load to (CTRL + U)
2. After successfully uploading a program to ATtiny85 level of digital pin 4 shoud change with frequency ~1sec. LED shoud blink.
Step 6: Additional Tips How to Improve Your Experience With Arduino and ArduShield
ArduShield it is most versatile development shield for most popular Arduino boards like a Arduino UNO R3, Mini, Pro Mini V5, Nano V3, MicroR3, Leonardo, Yun, Zero, Galileo Gen2 and many other derivative boards created by great community of people.
How to save space on bread board with ArduShield and get immediate access for pins Arduino UNO, Nano, Mini, Micro, Pro Mini and other derivative boards.
Use Arduino Micro and other Arduino with other shields
Move Arduino pins and power supply to bread board
Develope two prototype on one bread board with ArduShield
Check rest of the great feature about ArduShield here.