First off, thank you for the creators of the Pipe Dream and Aluminum Pipe beds for my inspiration. I decided I wanted to do something like them but make it a hybrid. It has taken a lot of elbow grease, many wandering visits to Home Depot, numerous phone calls and tons of frustration.
Background: My original idea was to use aluminum pipes to create a frame large enough for a queen but use crossover slip-on pipe fittings so that I can easily adjust and take it apart whenever I want since I move a lot. I wanted the head legs to be longer than the tail legs and the base to be a couple of inches longer and wider than my bed. I really wanted to avoid Home Depot at all costs but I couldn't find a place that sold aluminum pipes. The total cost ended up being around $400 for the Kee Lite fittings, $100 for the EMT pipes, $20 for the leg caps, $30? for the wood slats. I have practically no proper tools and live in a teeny studio so I was as restricted in doing a lot of things I really wanted to do. I also planned this project horribly because of my impatience among other things.
Step 1: Prep Work
Galvanized pipe was out of the question for me as it was too heavy for a wooden floor so I ended up using EMT pipe at Home Depot after hunting around everywhere for aluminum. Unfortunately, I didn't know that EMT pipe does not have the same outer dimension (OD) as galvanized pipe before I bought the speedrailers. I wasn't too worried about it supporting me as I am slim for my size and I am using a 12" memory foam bed from Walmart.
I used a multi-tool and allen wrench.
I would recommend a leveler, tape measure and a helper.