I decided to build a gear clock after seeing something like what I made in a friends office and after playing with the gear renderer in Inkscape. This instructable hopefully will show you how to make what I made and also teach you a little about the design process involved when working with a laser cutter.
Step 1: Gather your materials.
- 2 small stepper motors. I used Symbol 21-02485-03 steppers that I bought from electronics goldmine. Unfortunately they no longer sell them. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G14197 I will keep looking for another source.
- 1 Arduino (actually, I used a Freeduino - http://store.nkcelectronics.com/freeduino-arduino-diecimila-compatible-board-complete-kit.html)
- 1/8" birch plywood (You can buy this at Michaels or Hobby Lobby) it cuts really nicely.
- Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org)
- Laser Cutter
- Optional Chronodot from Macetech (http://macetech.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=8&zenid=f63efb4e6b02850ef3da2f48cf86d70e)