Was I ever surprised to learn there was not one bit of hamburger or even sausage
in them, and yet the texture, and even the taste surprised me. Certainly, one
could add meat if desired, but with this recipe, even the most discerning guest
will wonder. Appetizers, Superbowl treats, after school snacks!
The secret? Walnuts and bread crumbs!
You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these mushrooms. Hubby is a
bonafide carnivore, and he loves them!
These mushrooms are so easy to make, and the best part is, they can be made ahead
of time, covered with plastic wrap and stuffed into the refrigerator until serving time. Then
simply bake at 350° for about 20 minutes and voila!
Step 1: The recipe...
from an insurance agency. Kudos to Gourmet Magazine for featuring them in 1997, and
Epicurious for posting the recipe as well. Always happy to lend credit where credit is due!
* 1 pound of mushrooms (White button were used for this Instructable)
* 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup walnuts
* 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
* 1 onion
* 1 cup coarsely grated sharp Cheddar
* 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (Progresso brand was used)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more to suit taste, if desired)
I have often found it very helpful to ensure you have all of your ingredients
before embarking on a recipe. It is also wise to read the recipe, making certain
you understand the process.
So gather up your ingredients, and let's get cooking!