Let's get started.
Step 1: Materials
- Altoids Smalls tin: ~$1.50 at a drug store. Or buy them in bulk on Amazon.
- (1) Wire Housing: $0.13 at Mouser.com
- (2) Wire Header: $0.14 each at Mouser.com
- 3V Coin Cell Battery: Find them for cheap on ebay.com
- Coin Cell Battery Holder: $1.56 at Mouser.com
- (2) Small Pieces of Hookup Wire
- (1) Rubber Grommet: 1cm across, can be found at any hardware store
- Dremel Tool or Rotary Device
Step 2: Individualize the Wire Headers
In the picture below, I have noted what you will need to trim off on the headers in order for them to fit in the housing.
Step 3: Some Soldering
Do the same for the other wire header as well. You should now have two wire headers with two pieces of hookup wire attached to them.
Step 4: Some More Soldering
Since most of the LEDs that I use are safe with just the 3V battery, I did not add a resistor. But if you have LEDs with a lower voltage drop, then there is definitely enough room inside to add a resistor. To add a low Ohmage resistor, connect it between the negative lead on your battery holder, and the wire header thatis connected to that piece of hookup wire.