Recently my father purchased a radial arm miter saw. He bought the saw to re-build his front porch and also to make picture frames (out of the old decking he hopes). During the process of deck building it became clear that the miter saw was difficult to move and required two saw horses to cut long lengths of wood. I decided to build a stand that could not only hold the miter saw but also support medium length pieces of wood and be fairly mobile.
I scoured the internet for free plans or ideas. After doing some research I finally got a good idea of how to proceed with the stand. During the building process we ran into a lot of problems and ultimately learned a lot about wood working and learned a few tricks that might help me in the future building of my own miter saw stand some day.
We decided to make a stand that had a shelf for clamps and any other tools needed, as well as a scrap wood bin. I had seen this bin in used in a shop notes version of a miter saw stand. I did not want to buy the plans for this miter saw so I went by the pictures i could find. This is my attempt at making a version of this miter saw.
***Because of our lack of wood working experience I will not make this instructable a step by step version. Rather a show and tell of important things we learned and how the stand turned out. I am sorry for our lack of experience, I am 24 years old and hope to some day be skilled enough to make nice looking furniture. It is experiences like this that teach and humble the inexperienced.
*** Please be careful when using power tools and sharp objects. It is good to experiment and learn from doing but please read instruction first.
Step 1: Supplies
two 4' X 8' sheets of 3/4" plywood
-These sheets will be used for the the body of the station, wings, support arm, shelves and fence.
one 4' X 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood.
-We bought another 4' X8' but had a lot left over in the end
**We used some scrap lumber that we had lying around but for the most part almost completely constructed out of 3/4 " ply.
Hinges- 12 total ---- solid piano hinges would have worked but we went with what we had lying around. We had ton off the clearance rack of a big box store.
Caster wheels- Again we had these. None of the four used had brakes which would have been nice, but in the interest of time and using whats on hand we went with what we had.
Screws- we used fine thread 1 1/4" screws that we had lying around, not sure how many we used.
*** Pocket jig-- I purchased this awhile back after seeing a commercial for the more professional version, i had not had a chance to use it so I figured this project would be a perfect trial run. After some learning it was very helpful, I would suggest getting the professional version as it would appear to save some time. This jig is not necessary and and you may use whatever method makes you happy.