This was a summer project run within the architecture department at the University of Brighton.
It was a group project, has gone over a year with no further development, so I can't imagine anyone will mind me showing the process here.
If you try this yourself or take inspiration from here please cite 'University of Brighton Architecture Department' as a source.
See here for all the people involved in this project
Design a chair / seat predominately made of concrete.
Consisted of several rounds finally producing a winning design
Was a design for modular blocks which could be stacked to create different seating arrangements.
The winner couldn't be there for the build so we developed the deign adding lugs onto the bricks to help them fit together more securely.
We then began to experiment with different textures to add to the blocks.
Initially took two weeks, then about a month coming in every 3 - 4 days to break the moulds, clean them and cast new blocks.
Read on for details
Step 1: Testing
We used laminated chipboard and constructed a simple box. In one side of the box we cut out a circle and sunk a small plastic dish in there (sealing it up with silicone).
On the opposite side we placed a plaster filled dish straight on the side.
We made two of these boxes and cast them.
The finished bricks came out really well. To me they look like giant versions of lego 1x1 bricks.
For the final version we used 4 square lugs on top (including 2 lugs on the sides).