Squishing a Honda GXH50 into a Huffy 24" boy's Cranbrook Cruiser Bicycle.
170 MPG - Really?
Short answer: NO - not for me, I drive full throttle almost all the time (30 mph), and I'm getting 110-130 mpg (depending on the wind)
Long answer: YES - if you're just going for a leisurely putt around town and aren't in a hurry - yes, it will get 170 MPG!
uh oh... the short answer was longer than the long answer... (sorry!)
The "Other" Answer?
IT GETS OVER ONE HUNDRED MILES TO THE GALLON NO MATTER HOW FAST YOU DRIVE!
OK, enough with all that!
We now return you to your original programming-in-progress...
(Sorry you were so rudely interrupted by this tacky updatey-thingy)
SO GET ON WITH IT!
As of 2012, the Minnesota statutes have re-classified Motorized-Bicycles as MOPEDs and are
now required to be registered and plated. BUT!!! (and this is the part that makes me angry)
The DMV/DVS will NOT register "homemade" MOPEDs without a federally approved MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin)
a.k.a. built in a federally recognized and registered factory.
Since *I* am the manufacturer, there is no way I can possibly do that.
I am currently pursuing registering it as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" - lumped in with Choppers, Street-Rods, Reconstructions, and all other modified vehicles. These people want RECEIPTS!
When I started this project a year ago, it was a BICYCLE and I didn't bother keeping any receipts (who could have known?)
Do yourself a favor: SAVE ALL RECEIPTS!
OH NO!!! MORE UPDATES!!! (run away! run away!)
I've added some recent pictures of her:
New "Tail-feathers" (she now has "running lights")
New buckboard (strangely attached)
New Collapse-able Saddle Basket (she's now a workhorse! - I can actually carry sh*t now!)
The lighting circuitry is still a work-in-progress...
With the addition of 2x 1N4001 diodes in a "Y" configuration, the lights are now powered by the batteries while it's not moving (a.k.a. "stand lights")
AND, when it's moving, everything is now powered by the dynamo!
Also, it now has additional "running lights" and a re-designed (and removable) tail light assembly.
Updates to the circuit diagrams are forthcoming as well as new pictures - when I can find the time.
(it's been a busy summer!)
After much frustration with the electrical system involving 2x 2.7v 82f "SuperCapacitors" in series, I have decided to dump them all together due to the fact that "THE LIGHTS DON'T COME ON UNTIL THE SUPERCAPACITORS ARE CHARGED".
I've done my best to find a way to overcome this problem, but hey: I'm not an EE.
(Driving 1+ miles in the dark until they charge is totally unacceptable)
The system is now split into:
1: The Headlight is exclusively powered by the Dynamo running through the rectified/regulated circuit.
1a. The voltage regulator has been changed to an LM7806 (+6vdc).
1b. The addition of a 1000mA BuckPuck current regulator.
1c. IF THE BIKE AIN'T MOVIN' - THE HEADLIGHT AIN'T ON.
2: The "Tail Lights" (one word: BATTERIES)
2a. The "Tail Lights" refer to every other light on the bike - and I want to be ABLE to light it up like a christmas tree!
2b. I hate batteries.
2c. Batteries DIE.
3: This thing has TWO POWER SOURCES (unacceptable!).
4: There has GOT to be a way to recharge batteries from the "other" source.
4a. I thought supercapacitors might be the answer...
Older Update: The comment section contains the instructions for "getting it registered & plated"
Many thanks to all the people who have helped me in this quest.
/# end of updates. (whew!)
ANYWAY, as I was saying:
This bike project started out as a request from my wife:
She has a 4 mile hilly terrain commute to work (and she's very frugal)
We saw a youtube video of a motorized bicycle in action doing 30+ mph and getting 170 mpg.
AND THEN IT HAPPENED...
She said: "Can you build one of those?"
I said: "Hell yes!"
Then she said: "Well then, go ahead and build one for me"
SHE ACTUALLY SAID THAT !!! - I JUST ABOUT DIED FROM SHOCK!
(For the record, I think I have just about the best wife on the planet)
The 1st picture was a current (September, 2012) view of our new "MOPED". *updates forthcoming
1: It's got all the "legal" stuff taken care of... (it's been inspected, registered, plated, and insured)
2: The seat has been repositioned just as low to the ground as possible.
3: The headlight and all of the electronics have been upgraded - (see the schematic).
4: The turn signal/brake/horn switches have been upgraded.
5: The brake lights and turn signals have been upgraded.
6: The fuel filter has been upgraded.
7: The air filter is in the process of being upgraded.
It's DONE, FINISHED, COMPLETED, etc, etc, etc...
WHOA! STOP! WAIT !?!?!
I've come to the realization that: THIS IS A NEVER ENDING PROJECT !!!!!
(run away! run away!)
The 2nd (or is that the 10th?) picture is how it looked right out of the box around May, 2011 (*some assembly required)
The 3rd picture was a recent (March, 2012) view of how far it had come over the last year or so that I've been working on it.
- A very upgraded version from before the "long, cold, winter of 2011 - that never happened in Minnesota"
It has come a long way since then!
(updates to this site are forthcoming - REALLY!)
I just need to take more pictures, measurements, figure out a way to dis-mount the tail-light structure from the seat, add running-lights, and hopefully design a rear frame-cage that can support the new tail-lights and baskets or saddlebags.
The rest is, well: A (very) detailed log of my work in progress...
Buy the ticket, take the ride...
(I hope you enjoy the trip!)