To Cut the Belt, Consider:
- Use a paper cutter, they make nice cuts and go through leather well.
- Alternatively, a utility knife works well if used slowly.
To Prepare the Wood:
- Cut the wood so that it has about 1 cm margin (up to you really), I used a spare piece of softwood (not balsa!)
- If you need to cut the piece in half, use an index card to find the center, it's faster than measuring.
- Blunt all of the edges. An easy way is to rest a piece of sandpaper against one's leg or a couch cushion and to move the wood across it. I used my leg and 80 grit sandpaper.
The last picture shows the difference between an un-blunted piece of wood versus a blunted piece of wood.