Since I made my Simple S#`t Ticket Dispenser , the next logical step is a rack to carry the spares. Since I rescued some 1x6 from my dad's scrap pile after his new windows were installed, I figured it would be perfect.
Step 1: Layout and Cutting
I used 1x6 and some 1/4" birch plywood. I cut the 2 ends at 6 1/8" and the front at 16 1/4". The fractions are so I can leave the tails of the box joint just slightly proud- it's a lot easier to sand down long tails than to sand the whole thing to fit short tails. The boards are 3/4" thick so I drew my cut line at 7/8" then made a mark every 1/2". This isn't the fastest or best(est) way, but I used my scroll saw to cut out the tails. In the second pic you can see that I marked the waste side so I can't screw up the cuts. Cut on or as close to the line as you can being careful to stay straight, then test and sand to fit snug but not too tight. Once I had the box joints fitting the way I liked, I used my router on my collapsible router table to cut a 1/4" slot centered about 1/2" up from the bottom to receive the plywood cut 15 3/8" x 5 1/4". The back piece of plywood is cut 16" x 5 3/4".
TRUST ME: use a scrap piece to test cut fingers for the box joint, then use the same scrap to set the router depth for the slot.
Step 2: The Finishing Touches
Once I had everything fitting the way I liked, I glued the box joints, slid the bottom in and glued and nailed the back on. After the glue dried, I trimmed and sanded the tails. I then used a keyhole bit on my router to cut hanging slots on the back, cutting into the sides so it would hang well and have hidden screws. I used summer oak stain to finish it and got it up to the bathroom before the roll on the dispenser ran out.