I keep bringing her food up to her, and she has been eating on a cruddy board for doing homework on. So I looked for a nice serving tray and
saw one made with a picture frame and put a pillow under it. I was hoping for something more traditional with legs. Guess what there is no such thing to buy, and I couldn't find one that was out there with instructions. So that is why I'm here. Hopefully you can make the same and share.
Step 1: Parts and Tools
Picture frame 13x23 -found in Wal-Mart, if you look you'll find the diploma with a picture in one frame - $15
1/2 wooden dowel - Home Depot $2
2 1x2 boards -Home Depot -$1.50 each
4 1/4 -20 30mm connecting bolts -Home Depot $3
4 Connecting caps - Home Depot $3
#8 1 3/4" wood screws $2
handles, I had these left over from when I did my kitchen.
small wood nails or nail gun
1/2" drill bit
1/4" drill bit
11/32" drill bit
Step 2: Picture Frame
First take out the glass and the matting. I almost forgot to do this and would have made for another trip to the store because of cracked glass. Well address the matte in a little bit.
Measure the with of the frame, mine happened to be 1 1/2". So I made a line on either side at 3/4".
The one side was 13.5 inches do I measured 6.75 inches for the middle and the handles, from hole to hole were a little under 7 inches so i measured a little over 3.5 inches and eyeballed the holes. I drilled 1/4 inch holes and tightened, looked great.
Now set aside, the base is needed.
Step 3: Frame
Being that the 1x2 is 1.5 inches wide and I wanted the legs to swivel out, I made a line down the center and a cross line at 1 inch.
I didn't want a full frame, to make the illusion of a holding area and help with hiding the legs. so i cut 4 1x2 4 inches and have one side a 45 degree angle.
Then luckily my neighbor had a staple gun and made connecting the pieces easy. I also pre drilled the screws.
Step 4: Legs
I drilled one side with a 1/2 inch for the dowel and the other with the 11/32 for the bolt.
I bolted it together to test. Good thing, got the 40mm and they were too long.
The legs were at a great angle also.
I also cut the dowels, they just needed to be longer than the width for the legs, and I wasn't going to paint them.
Step 5: Matte Cutting
Step 6: Sand and Paint
I also put a coat of very hi gloss polyurethane.
Step 7: Put It Together
I tested it out, the legs were a fight fit, which was what I was going for to make sure they locked well.
Step 8: Happy Mother's Day
She loved it.