An bed made from iron pipe. The design is simple yet sturdy. Not too pricy, simple to make, easy to adjust/disassemble, this bed will give your room an industrial feel.
Step 1: Acquire Materials
Here are the required materials
- 1 1/2" schedule 40 iron pipe: Available at plumbing/hardware stores. Rather heavy. You can buy 10' lengths and then cut it yourself. Note that 1 1/2" pipe is not actually 1 1/2" in diameter. Its really closer to 1 7/8"!
- Hacksaw/pipecutter/chopsaw: For cutting the pipe down
- Couplers: You can buy these from mcmaster carr, they are used to build railings. They are sometimes called "speed rail" or "speedrail". Search the online mcmaster.com for "speedrail" and order the couplers you want. I got mine for free and they were all of the "4 outlet crossover" kind so I used only those but theres more suitable configurations.
- Allen wrench: for opening & closing the couplers
- Plastic pipe-end covers: get these at the place with the pipe, they protect your floor
- 1x8 wood panels for making the slats, and 2x4's for holding the slats together