The instructions I have posted here are pretty much the same as instructions given by the incredibly awesome High-Low Tech Tutorial. I posted my version of the instructions here because I plan to make a couple of upcoming projects using ATtiny chips and figured I would show my process.
Step 1: Go get stuff
- ATtiny85 (or ATtiny45)
- 10uF 16V electrolytic capacitor
- 220ohm 1/4 watt resistor
- solid core hookup wire
Step 2: Wire the circuit
- Arduino +5V ---> ATtiny Pin 8
- Arduino Ground ---> ATtiny Pin 4
- Arduino Pin 10 ---> ATtiny Pin 1
- Arduino Pin 11 ---> ATtiny Pin 5
- Arduino Pin 12 ---> ATtiny Pin 6
- Arduino Pin 13 ---> ATtiny Pin 7
Step 3: Program the Arduino
Upload the sketch to your Arduino as you would any other sketch.
Your Arduino is now configured as a serial programmer that can program other chips.
Step 4: Filter cap
It is rumored you only need this for the Arduino Uno, but I have found it helped matters to include it with earlier versions as well. If you find that it is not working in the next steps, simple remove it and see if that helps.