Introduction: Pumpkin Creme
Finalist in the
CHOW Thanksgiving Recipes Contest
Leftover pumpkin? Don't like pie? Try Pumpkin Creme.
Step 1: Ingredients
1 1/2 cups chopped pumpkin
1 cinnamon stick
2 anise pods
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Step 2: The Great Pumpkin
- Add the pumpkin to a pot. Cover the pumpkin with water. Boil for 5 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft.
- Meanwhile, on low heat, simmer the milk and cream, add the cinnamon stick, anise and cloves. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the water from the pumpkin, mash with a potato masher and set aside.
Step 3: Mixing
- Beat 3/4 cups sugar and corn starch into the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, cloves and anise for the milk.
- Add pumpkin mash to the seasoned milk. Mix well.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the pumpkin and milk. Mix well.
Step 4: Heating
- Heat on low, stirring constantly.
- Add cinnamon powder to mixture. Continue to stir.
- Stir until mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Do not allow eggs to set.
Step 5: Setting and Finishing
- Pour into ramekins, allow to set for several hours.
- Divide the remaining sugar and sprinkle over the top of the ramekins.Use a torch to heat the sugar forming a crispy golden crust.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.