This Instructable will show you how to install the GPIO package on your Raspberry Pi and how to wire up a simple push button circuit with an LED.
I use the command-line and Python for this, no web browser or GUI.
Before you do this Instructable, make sure you have your Raspberry Pi ready for action. My Ultimate Raspberry Pi Configuration Guide covers how to do this in detail.
You will want to have an internet connection to download the packages and probably use ssh.
Step 1: Gather your components
* Raspberry Pi
* Cobbler breakout board with cable — you can order this from Adafruit for $8.
* Wires — breadboard or otherwise
* standard LED
* 270 Ohm resistor
* 1K resistor
* 10K resistor
* Push button
* USB power for RPI (not pictured)
* Monitor + keyboard (not pictured)
* small diagonal snips
* multimeter for checking continuity