For some reason, when I edit this, it will not let me embed video - so here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdvfXduUso to my son riding down the driveway in tow.
Step 1: Find Materials (aka The Three Lives of Pine Boards)
Below is a list of what I used to make the little plane:
1. 1x12 pine boards (I used a handful of 30 inch long ones and two 10 feet long ones)
2. 2 wheels from Northern Tool
3. small brads (1 inch)
4. small screws (3/4 inch)
5. one L bracket (4 inch)
6. two 5 gallon buckets with lids (you really only need two lids - I just used this project to justify buying two more buckets).
7. one length of 2 inch conduit
8. assorted switches and an old alarm clock.
9. a one foot diameter concrete tube (or a compass...)
In regard to number 1 - the bookcase I had to take down had shelves thirty inches wide across and twelve inches deep - these dimensions influenced the dimensions of the plane because I didn't want to purchase any other materials.