"Open Source Ecologie France" successfully completed a crowd-funding to buy the materials for a second improved prototype, including 4 modules like the one described in this instructable!
If you feel like contributing in any way to the project, be sure we will be very happy to welcome you!
Thank you so much!
Andrea Sannnuto, Hugo Frederich, Cyril Libert, François Veynandt, Philippe Gattegno on www.opensourceecologie.org
This document describes the construction of a linear Fresnel solar concentrator. The prototype is adapted for heat needs between 100°C and 250°C.
Current levels of energy consumption are generally unsustainable. The use of solar energy favors a better distribution of the territorial economic activity. Meanwhile, many actual models are either designed for the industry, either for cooking in the South countries. Open Source Ecologie France researches and develops a solar concentrator made for an intermediary market, in order to make possible for little producers, artisans and micro-industries the use of solar energy. The prototype is designed for artisanal common uses : collective cooking, local food production, extraction of essential oils, jam cooking, jar sterilization, water purification, wood treatment, alimentation steam, other process using the vapor under 250°C. Vapor at lower temperatures can be produced in the prototype, the possible applications are heating the current water, product drying…
We propose a module capable of producing maximum 1 kW. The entire system will combine a specific number of modules in order to produce between 5 and 50 kW. The system must be equipped with the right components and automation, it has to fit the professional activities of the users; for example, it can be the main or the complimentary power energy. Its price has to be low enough in order to be easily adopted and shared.
- Metal work / Welding
- Laser cutting
- Can help: basic knowledge in geometry, optics and material properties (related to a solar concentrator)
Some tasks need to be done with 3 persons, like assembling the structure.
A solar concentrator uses the sun’s light and it is useful in the regions with high solar radiation. A profitability calculation is useful.
Some methods are very specific to the project, but as well, there are commonly used methods (laser cutting; welding; metal cutting, drilling…)
Complementary to this manual, you can find online more information on:
- Software, Electronics, Modelling (once finalized), documentation, licence details: see Github
- discussions on our Forum
- the documentation and collaborative writing in French is happening on our Wiki
- technical requirements giving a comparison between the present demonstrator and the next prototype
- the project in French:
- you can subscribe to our newsletter and more on our website: www.osefrance.fr :)
About 2000€ of material.
About 150h. 7 days 3 persons (or 4 persons during a week)
LEVEL OF TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY
Needs in terms of skills, intermediary to expert level:
- An intermediary know-how to work the metal for the construction of the structure;
- An intermediary know-how to install the electronics;
- An intermediary to expert know-how to build the hydraulic circuit, depending on the pressure and temperature level of the usage.
MATERIAL AND TOOLS
- Tube 40x30 thickness:2 L1430 minimum length 1430 quantity:4 (Order : 1,5 x 6m)
- Tube 25x25 thickness:2 L2130 minimum length: 2130 quantity:4 (Order : 2x6m)
- Tube 30x30 thickness: 2 L2500 minimum length: 2500 quantity: 5 (Order: 2 x 6m)
- Tube 20x20 thickness: 2 L2200 quantity: 4 + L1000 quantity 2. minimum length: 2200 (Order: 2.5 x 6m)
- Tube_50x50 ép.3 L3m minimum length: 3m quantity: 2 (Order : 1x6m)
- Jonc acier Ø8 quantity: 6M minimum length: 150mm (Order : 1x6m)
- Flat (15 to 20) x (2 to 2,5) L2,5m minimum length: 2,5m quantity: 2 (Order: 20,58x2,5 L6m)
- Flat (7 to 10) x (1 to 2) L2,5m minimum length: 2,5m quantity: 1
- Flat 20x3, L100mm quantity 2
- Flat 30x5, L2150mm quantity 1
- Profile. interior dimension : (20 à 35) x (30 à 50) L 2,2m quantity: 2; L 100, quantity 2. minimum length: 2,2m (Order: dim int 27 x 55,5 thickness: 3. dim ext 30 x 58,5)
- Stainless steel bar 8000 mm long, 8mm diameter
- Square tube 2000m long, 20x40.
- 2000x 3000 (2000x2000 + 3 times 340 x 680 mm + 2 times 230 x 125mm + 2 times 50 x 50 mm) Mirror plate, anodized aluminum
- 0.2 mm thick Plate (printing offset plate) 700mm x 2100mm + 300x250mm
- Screw M10 L80. Quantity: 2
- Screw M8 L100. Quantity: 12
- Screw M6 L70. Quantity: 32
- Screw M6 L60. Quantity: 40
- Screw M6 L70 quantity: 40
- Screw M6 L25. Quantity: 20
- Screws M5. Quantity :12
- Screw CHC (pan hex head) M4 L20 quantity: 50
- Screw M4 countersunk hex head. Minimum length: 10 quantity: 20
- Screw M3x16. Quantity : 80
- nut M8. Quantity : 42
- nut M6. Quantity :200
- nut M5. Quantity :12
- nut M4 quantity : 150. (60 in screws H M4 (thickness 3) + 50 in countersunk head screws M4 (thickness 3)
- Washers M3 quantity : 300. Ø9-Ø3,2-thickness:0.7
- Washers M4 quantity: 120. Ø12-Ø4,4-thickness:1
- Washers M6 quantity : 250. Øext 13.8 et 18
- threaded rod M8 quantity: 1000mm. minimum length: 400mm
- Wood plate (for example laminated structural wood), minimum dimension: 810x500 (thickness:.10) compatible with laser cut. Quantity: 2
- 1 brass tube with an exterior diameter of 55 mm and a length of 1900 mm
- 4.5 m copper pipes, minimum length 3m.
- Anti-rost painting
- sealant PVC alu special for glazing
- Height adjustable feet M8. Threading M8 L25 – total height 35mm quantity: 8
- Glass cover 1000x250x4 quantity:2
- 2000 mm length of a 2 mm diameter steel cable
- “element to adjust length of the cable” 1
- Rockwool (or other fire resistant insulation material, 300°C) insulation 10 cm thick (600x1000) quantity 2.
- Cotton Insulation (for steam pipe) 10 cm thick, 600x1000, quantity 1.
- Aluminum adhesive tape (quote in text)
- Adhesive tape
- Auto-lubrifying bushing. Quantity: 40
Regular metal and wood workshop tools, including:
- Hack saw
- Drilling machine and set of drills for metal: 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6m, 8mm, 10mm, 20mm. Drills for wood: 4mm, 10mm.
- Bristol paper
- Measuring devices : over 3 meters tape measure, 1 m ruler, square and metallic protractor
- 3 clamps
- Plunging saw
- mirror field
- tracking system
+ WASTE: unused mirrors, metal pieces, unused pieces of wood, glue, sealant
PARTS OF THE DOCUMENTATION
1. Mirror field
1.1. Support structure (1day)
1.2. Mirror facets (1day)
2.1 Support structure (1day)
2.2 Skeleton of the receiver (1day)
2.3 CPC Reflector
2.4 Absorber tube
2.5 Assembling of the receiver (3h)
3. Tracking system (2 days)
4. Usage demonstration