Step 1: Ingredients
**Optional: Sea salt & butter.
Sugar 4 Tbsp
Water 3 Tbsp
Butter 1 - 2 Tbsp
Milk 3 - 5 Tbsp
**Optional: 1 tsp vanilla seeds.
Step 2: Trim and Cube the Bread Slices.
(b) Cut the bread into 1/2-inch strips by using a sharp knife (or a scissor).
(c) Cut the strips crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes.
Step 3: Sautéed Bread Cubes.
(b) Add the bread cubes.
(c) Stir and turn the bread frequently until it is golden and crisp on all sides, about 1 - 2 minutes.
* Optional: You can melt butter. The bread cubes will quickly absorb the butter. Keep them moving in the pan so toast, but don’t burn.
Step 4: Season to Taste.
(b) Set aside.
* Optional: While still hot sprinkle with seasalt and toss to fully coat.
Step 5: Caramel Sauce.
(b) Stirring often until the sugar has completely dissolved. Continue to boil.
(c) As soon as the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring. Swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture turns a deep amber color.
(d) Add in butter and cook while whisking gently for 1 - 2 minutes, until it gets thicker.
(e) Add the milk and vanilla seeds (optional). Cook another minute to thicken further.
(f) Whisk until the caramel sauce is smooth.
Step 6: Mix Them Together and Combine Well.
(a) Turn off the heat.
(b) Stir in the bread cubes and toss frequently to fully coat for 1 minutes.
(c) Pour them into a plate.
Step 7: Set Aside and Allow to Cool to Room Temperature.
(b) Divide them into 2 to 3 portions so as not to crowd them on the plate.
(c) Cool to room temperature.
Step 8: Serve.
Step 9: NOTE
1. Make sure you have everything ready to go before you begin ( eg: milk, water and the butter next to the pan). If you don't work fast, the sugar will burn.
2. Extra careful while you are cooking the sugar. Once the sugar has melted it has a much higher temperature than boiling water.
3. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened to desired consistency.