This Instructable is to show you how I designed and built my own 3-D T-Rex dinosaur puzzle.
There are a lot of different dinosaur patterns that you can find to cut out with a scroll saw. I wanted to make one of these for my son, but couldn't find a pattern that I liked. I also wanted to be able to make a large scale pattern that was somewhere between 4 and 6 feet tall. After looking for one for a while I decided to make one myself. The plan was to make a pattern and then cut out a small size dinosaur and then scale it up for a larger size with any improvements I wanted to make.
Step 1: Materials and Tools Needed
1. Baltic birch plywood for the dinosaur pieces.
2. All wood pieces were left unfinished as adding a finish coat like polyurethane could affect the tightness of the interlocking joints of the pieces.
3. Spray adhesive for sticking the template pieces to the wood for cutting.
The tools I used on the project were as follows:
1. Computer and computer program to draw the parts. I used Autocad, but Sketchup or 123D should work as well.
2. Printer - for printing out the template pieces.
3. Band saw - for rough cutting the pieces into more manageable sizes.
4. Oscillating belt and spindle sander - for sanding the faces of the smaller pieces and the edges of the pieces when needed.
5. Random orbit sander - for sanding the larger pieces.
6. Scroll saw - for cutting out the dinosaur pieces.
7. Sanding block with sandpaper - for some additional spot sanding when needed.
Not all of the tools in this list are required, but will make the construction much easier.
NOTE: If you plan on using any tool for a project please make sure you are familiar with the tool and all of the dangers associated with it. If you are not familiar with a tool then you should ask someone who is to show you the proper way to use it. A lot of communities have classes at local colleges on the proper use of tools and machinery. There are also local woodworking clubs that offer classes at very reasonable rates for beginners. I highly recommend using these resources for your safety and for the most efficient use of the tool.
Always wear eye and hearing protection.
Always work safe with the proper safety equipment and guards on your tools.