Make a high-tech mood light from a flourescent lamp and a bunch of old memory chips.
Thanks go to Ross Orr for the original article inMAKE MAGAZINE Volume 09
Step 1: What You Need...
1. Some old memory chips. However many you use will determine the size of the Bytelight you build. I used 3 rows of 21, 256K 30 pin SIMMS that I bought as a bulk lot on Ebay.
2. A piece of plexiglass or Lexan. Mine was 12" X 12"
3. Plywood or other wood about 1/2" thick
4. Sheet metal. I used some galvanized sheet metal. Anything reflective will work. You could probably get away with using aluminum foil.
5. Glue. You can use any glue that will work with wood, metal and plastic.
6. Light fixture, lamp cord and flourescent bulb. Any home improvement store will have these or just salvage them from an old garage sale lamp.
7. Assorted screws.