- 1 spool of 9 gauge wire (maybe 20 feet)
- 1 spool of 12 gauge wire (maybe 10 feet)
- 1 3' 1/8" metal rod
- JB Weld (maybe 3 tubes)
- Lots of silver ribbon]
- 1" black webbing (maybe 5')
- Wire / bolt cutters
Step 1: Prep
Step 2: Frame
After bending it into shape, I cut lengths out of the 9 gauge wire, bending them and laying them out into the shape I wanted for the frame.
Step 3: Spines
The right side of this picture shows how your wings should look at this point, except nothing should be connected yet.
Step 4: Fake welding
1. Get two (or more) pieces of wire lined up
2. Prepare some JB Weld
3. When it is somewhat hardened, coat the joint in the mixture
4. Wrap the joint in the silver ribbon as smoothly as possible, and tie off the end.
The tips (not pictured here) are the hardest, since you have to get several points together at once. I believe I did one connection at a time. Wrap two wires together, then the two with the next one, and so on Bulkier connection, but less likely to fall apart.
This picture shows a close up of a several connections from later in the project.
Step 5: Small arcs
Once you are happy, start connecting all the pieces. This part takes forever.