Woodworking Marking Knife





Introduction: Woodworking Marking Knife

Essential tool for woodwork. The handle is made of Macassar Ebony and shaped by hand. The blade is high speed steel made from a scrap from somewhere. The ferrule was turned from brass.



    • Microcontroller Contest

      Microcontroller Contest
    • Science of Cooking

      Science of Cooking
    • Spotless Contest

      Spotless Contest

    We have a be nice policy.
    Please be positive and constructive.




    Ok, for those of us not as good as you....can you take it apart and show more details please??? It would really really really help:) The type of Ebony used is not illegal yet for use, but often comes in very SMALL pieces...this handle would cost about $80 here in Canada...so, you may want to use purple heart, red heart, black walnut or another very dense hardwood instead...not so expensive either:) Well, you can at least get larger pieces!LOL

    Great marker, but usually instructables have the instructions.

    It's a really well made marker.

    where did you get the wood. Is it African ebony that is illegal to harvest? If not id love to get my hands on this wood i love the look.

    It was bought from a place called Trend Timbers and it came from a legal source. You shouldn't have any problem getting enough ebony for a project like this.

    An old spade bit could be ground to that shape as could an old file.

    It's so beautiful! How did you make it?

    Beauty!!! The brass ferrule,from a compression nut?

    A very neat job, There are lots of people who wish marking knives as nice as this were generally available to buy - well done. (Now, where's that old 5/8" chisel)

    I've seen them made from old (i.e., dull) spade-style drill bits. Usually very cheap at a flea market.

    Very nice design. Did you paint the handle? It looks green in the pictures.
    Can you give your overall dimensions?