This is a perfect appetizer for going over the top and impressing your guests on Halloween. It's both pretty and gruesome. :D
If you buy all the dips and fillings ready made, it's easy to put together. You've really just got to bake lots of puff pastry and then assemble! And now that I've made all the assembly mistakes you can avoid them.
If you've got lots of baking sheets laying around and some extra hands, I think this could come together in an hour or so!
Special thanks to canida for brainstorming with me and offering suggestions, and to wilgubeast for brainstorming and naming the torso ManWich! And HUGE thanks to audreyobscura for helping me take very pretty photos of the finished project - you're my hero!
P.S. Go to the last step for TONS more photos. :D
Step 1: Ingredients:
- for the torso base (skin), lung & liver bowls, ribs, etc: three packages puff pastry - Pepperidge Farms was the easiest to work with
- an egg for eggwashin' the puff pastry
- 16 oz+ white bean dip for one of the lungs (here's my white bean dip recipe!)
- 16 oz+ hummus for one of the lungs (here's my recipe for hummus!)
- pate for the liver
- two packages smoked salmon to make the subcutaneous muscle lining the torso
- 2 packages cream cheese for the cheeseball stomach and to keep the puff pastry bowls in place
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar!) for the cheeseball stomach
- a beet for the heart
- a teeny pickle for the gallbladder
- salami to make up the colon
You'll also need some parchment paper and aluminum foil to help with baking the puff pastry and beet. :) Oh, and I got some frilly toothpicks to stick in the edges of the puff pastry skin so it looked like it was pinned down to the cutting board.