With Instructables you can share what you make with the world, and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts.
Magnetic speed sensor
Great instructable! I used my shop vac to blow air into the tailpipe of my Ford F350-- then I sprayed soapy solution all over the joints and found leaks easily without having to run the engine. Thanks
Worked like a charm. Found a pesky leak in just a couple of minutes.I had tried soap first, but the leak was in a spot that i couldn't access with a mirror or my hand until i had removed most of the intake piping and no way I'm running my engine without an air filter! I agree with Ross that it would be better to use a shop vac to blow air in, but of the car has sat overnight most of the combustibles should have dissipated. Still, place a fire extinguisher and a helper near the vacuum to keep a close eye on it.
In my case i couldn't reach the part of the engine with the leak from below without removing the EGR cooler (which is part of the exhaust system, so can't do that) or from above without removing the majority of my air intake.Without the air intake, i can't safely start the engine, but i can still externally pressurize (or depressurize) the exhaust and listen for leaks. This was definitely easier than the afternoon i spent with soap and exhaust fumes.
Remove a stuck alloy rim without damage
This is extremely dangerous idea as you will likely suck fuel fumes into the vacuum cleaner (I haven't seen any domestic or shop vacs with brushless motors yet so they will have sparks) that will ignite and set the vacuum cleaner on fire and then possibly your car. It is a 4 stoke engine after all so one of the cylinder at least will be on the compression stroke when the engine stopped (post fuel injection but pre ignition). There will also be some combustible blow-by gas in the crank case that will be drawn out by the vacuum. If there is some other undiagnosed issue such as a dribbling injector (or leaking carburettor) the risk is even greater. You'll get away with it 80% of the time but the other 20% of the times will end catastrophically and may even get you a Darwin Award.
Really nice design
Nice instructable. Definitly captures the spirit of the site. I think the three dollars is fair. Cordless drills with clapped out batteries are abundant. I often see them at the tip and usually have one or two lurking around at home. Could always adapt a 12v motor from a car and run on the pc supply.
USB pimp my Landy
Find an exhaust leak without burning your hands!
Join 2 million + to receive instant DIY inspiration in your inbox.
Download our apps!
© 2016 Autodesk, Inc.