Author Options:

Is there a specific type of jar I put my organ in? Answered


10 Replies

petercd (author)2016-10-10

If its a Hammond B-3, you almost certainly wont find one big enough.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Jack A Lopez (author)2016-10-07

I am guessing you are talking about a method for preserving biological specimens, like a dead animal, or pieces of dead animals.

I think the usual recipe is a liquid fixative, like formaldehyde, plus a glass jar to put it in.

Did some searching, asking Google(r) about "method preserve animal specimen formaldehyde", and I found this slide show titled, "Methods to preserve specimens", here:


It turns out there are different recipes for the fixative, and there are some pretty scary warnings about the formalin (i.e. formaldehyde in water solution). You do not want to breath the fumes, or allow it to touch your skin.

Not sure about the jar, except that you definitely don't want it to leak.

Actually, you probably don't want to mess with formalin, since there are safer alternatives, like ethyl alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol, and those chemicals are easier to obtain. The slide show I linked to above, had some words about

ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol, for fixative and preservation purposes.

Not sure if Wikipedia has any info for this topic. Maybe:



Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Vyger (author)Vyger2016-10-08

To understand the reference watch the movie "The Bucket List"

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

FriendOfHumanity (author)2016-10-08

" . . . mason jar under the sink . . . "

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Kiteman (author)2016-10-07



Nope, got nothing.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

rickharris (author)2016-10-07

Explain please, I am dying of curiosity.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer