How can I remove the diodes from a modern television flyback transformer?

I need high voltage diodes for a voltage multiplier that I am currently building, however, there is no way that my parents will let me buy any. Therefore, I think that the best place to get some would be a modern television flyback transformer. I have many of them and they are easy to find. I do not care about the rest of the transformer. The primary and secondary windings along with the plastic case will all be discarded. Unfortunately, my attempts with a dremel have all failed. What can I do?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
maleshmawa5 years ago
I know, its too late but you could buy IN4007 diodes from any electronic shops, they are rated for 1000V 1Amp, several of them in series could reach your desired target. dont forget current limiting resistor, for your safety & the components exposed.
Xellers (author)  maleshmawa5 years ago
The question asks the opposite - how do I *remove* them to end up with an AC transformer?
I have worked on this problem with little success. I tried various solvents, including hot dimethel sulfoxide (DMSO). Some types of paint remover might work to remove layers of plastic. I believe that manufactures intentionally design these things to prevent use of their components. ~Bob~
Xellers (author)  ShutterBugger8 years ago
Unfortunately, using chemicals is off limits to me. Is there any other place that I can get high voltage diodes from?
Other than the diodes from scraped microwave ovens, I know of no other sources.
i have found some high voltage diodes on the pcb of an old monitor
lemonie8 years ago
I didn't think there were any high voltage diodes in these things (having hacked 'em out of curiosity in the past). What multiplier plan are you working off - there are a few high voltage Instructables around here? L
Xellers (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Actually, modern flyback transformers do contain high voltage diodes spread across the windings to perform half wave rectification. That is why The modern kind give DC output that is unsuitable for applications such as plasma globes and voltage multipliers. As you may have read, I am doing this because I cannot buy any. My goal for this project is to create a multiplier that multiplies the approximately 20kV from my AC flyback transformer to over 100kV. Unfortunately, the existing high voltage instructables that you mention tell you to buy the parts, and not salvage them, so they are useless for me.
lemonie Xellers8 years ago
Mmmm, when I was hacking these was some years ago, but I do know how tough they are (very). I guess the polymer is one that would be highly resistant to chemical attack, other than fire. I have put some thought into this and to answer "How can I remove the diodes from a modern television flyback transformer?" I think it's "patience" and "hard work". Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more. L
Xellers (author)  lemonie8 years ago
That's okay. Do you know of any other place that I can get high voltage diodes from? I have tried microwave ovens, but only one of the diodes could withstand the high voltage from the flyback transformer. Unfortunately, microwave ovens are harder to come by than televisions, so I don't that that I could ever get enough diodes from them...
lemonie Xellers8 years ago
No... I've got a redundant flyback, - want me to try and take it apart and mail you what I can get out of it? L
Xellers (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Just post some pictures - if you can do it, then I can too. And in any case, I have about 10 extra flybacks, its okay if I screw up one or two times...
lemonie Xellers8 years ago
I remembered why it's redundant, the tube "drops-out" after ~10 min, think it may be defective in the high-voltage area. Still I could hack it for fun and post pics? people have done it with 9V batteries...