Instructables

making moonshine more tastefull to drink?

just curious if anyone knows what i could mix with it to make it more tolerable for me to drink. I'm a wuss lol

paganwonder4 years ago
Charcoal filter it then age in charred oak barrel for years.  Home-made wine is easier, safer, legal-er.

home-made wine may be legal in your country, but it isn't in america.

home-made wine may be legal in your country, but it isn't in america.

home-made wine may be legal in your country, but it isn't in america.

drethanol3 years ago
Running your shine through twice is a good idea. I do mine right the first time and then filter it through a 10 gal. tub of white oak carcoal chips. The smaller the better ( more surface area). Any impurities will get attached to the charcoal and make the shine taste real smooth.
Good shine comes from a good recipe and still procedure.

You can use copper, aluminum, or stainless steel, it does not matter.
Methanol comes from the heat range around 152 degree's (dependig o your altitude) when you get the mash coming up to par. (173 degree's) keep your temperature steady at 173 and you will get 190 proof alcohol. If it fluxuates, you will be distilling water and alcohol off at the same time, diluting your shine and adding impurities.

Goodluck....


I have built stills for demonstration at fairs and events legally of course. Distiling spirits requires a license and it aint cheap!.

give me an email for any questions, and I 'll talk you through any questions you have.


Chow,

John

powersystems1961@yahoo.com
Just wanted to add a word of warning, and interject a correction in response to drethanols answer above.

He says "you can use copper, aluminum or stainless".

Well listen up people - DO NOT USE ALUMINUM if it's going to be used for human consumption !

Stainless and copper are the ONLY safe metals.

If you don't want to be poisoned, do some more research and you'll find this to be TRUE.

Thanks

aluminum in small amounts is ok. i can go out and eat Aluminum and nothing will hapen

jbasham1 year ago
Mix pineapple juice,
moonshine cherries,
UV Cake,
and a bit of the moonshine cherry syrup.
YOU GOT PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE!!
Too many people freak out about methanol poisoning in moonshine. Yes methanol is bad, but no, there is NO chance of you hurting yourself with home made moonshine. You'll need to consume so much moonshine to get methanol poisoning that you'll die first of ethanol poisoning. Five gallons of wash made from any fruit juices or corn, distilled will only give you MAYBE 10 ml of methanol. You can safely consume 50 ml a day, even thought you may get a headache. Hey, even non fermented fruit juices like apple have methanol. The stories of methanol poisoning are misconceptions of actual idiots drinking denatured alcohol or wood alcohol (found in certain paint thinners). And during the prohibition this happened quite a few times. Just in case you're still skeptical, look up the treatments for methanol poisoning... lo and behold, it's ethanol consumption. Drink away my friend.

One more thing, if your moonshine tastes bad, put baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in it and leave it in a glass container in the sun a few days, then redistill it.

The crappy taste normally comes from Ethyl Acetate, a resulting compound from the reaction of vinegar and ethanol, it smells very sweet, but tastes really nasty. This will always be present in a brewed alcoholic beverage, but aging allows it to evaporate and/or convert decompose into ethanol and acetic acid (vinegar). The best way to get rid of it is what I mentioned above, also, seeing that it boils at a degree less than alcohol you'll get more in the first portion of your distilled brew. Either throw it out, or use the baking soda solution and redistill. Also the alcohol that comes out about half-way should taste much better.
w0ot!4 years ago
Mix it half & half with apple juice, add a cinnamon stick, pour it into the traditional 'shine bottle (a mason jar) and refrigerate for later.

Shine made from apples is particularly nice.

If it's corn squeezin's mix with tomato juice or V8. Add a squirt of Tabasco for fun.

BTW, consuming alcohol is fun, but it toasts your brain. Hardly worth the trip.
seandogue4 years ago
If it's the equivalent of Ever-Clear, since it has virtually no "flavor" of its own, anything yer lil heart desires.

You'll need to experiment, since there's usually some residual flavor imparted to moonshine that can work with some additives and not work with others.

but in general, whether essential oils (of the edible variety), fruit juice, koolaid, pop (soda, or as they say in Kansas...Coke), herbs (yes, kooky as it might sound) or similar flavoring agents, pretty much anything can be used.

In other words, treat it like Vodka, which is also a relatively pure alcohol.
'zactamundo

Put a highball glass into an empty, clean sink.
Add 3-5 ice cubes.
Fill glass 3/4 full with your favorite mixer
Pour 2 oz. of moonshine down the sink drain.
Top off glass with your favorite commercially produced liquor.

Enjoy.
 

Sounds like the reverse of Mark Twain's recipe for a mint julep...
framistan4 years ago
Filter out all of the alcohol.  drink the remains which is just water.  Alcohol is not a food, it is a motor fuel.  Alcohol is YEAST EXCREMENT.  Why would you want to make yeast-piss taste better??? 
Re-design4 years ago
I'm surprised that no one had mentioned that by the 3rd or 4th glass full the taste pretty much improves.
depotdevoid4 years ago
First off, seriously, you need to be absolutely sure you haven't got any methanol on your hands, that'll screw you up BAD.  In fact, distilling is probably illegal in most areas and you really shouldn't be doing it at all.

Assuming you have done it right and you're not concerned about the legal and health issues, here is what I know.  A friend of mine picked up one of those little commercially made stills that looks like a gas station coffee pot.  He was distilling just about everything in sight, and he learned 4 important things about making it taste better.

1.  Filter it (I'm not sure how this is done, I think it has something to do with charcoal)
2.  Dilute it (just with plain old water)
3.  Age it (for several months or longer!)
4.  Put some charred oak chips in it (this produces a brown color and a good flavor)

After you have done these things, you can mix it with whatever you like, cola, juice, etc.  Good luck and I hope you don't die/go blind/end up in the ER!
 As Frollard said, drinking home-distilled alcohol carries a small risk of methanol poisoning, particularly if the distillation apparatus was designed by someone without years of practical experience in either whiskey-making or organic chemistry.

Ethanol and methanol are quite difficult to tell apart. The former may get you drunk, a couple teaspoons of the latter may cause blindness. If your alcohol wasn't made by an expert, you might want to just use it as fuel in your ethanol-powered vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Health_and_safety

By the way... if a nosy neighbor should happen to voice some safety concerns to your local police,  and those police decide to politely ask Instructables for the location of your computer, you might find yourself in some legal trouble.
lemonie4 years ago
What did you make it from, and did it distill to a nice clear liquid?
You can mask the flavour, or purify it further.

L
frollard4 years ago
Shouldn't drink shine straight anyway - any problems in the manufacturing process and you could have poison on your hands, not good ol' clean ethanol.

That said - any mix really, pop/soda, juice, jello, or use the shine to fortify other drinks (beer/wine) etc.