loading

Rash need help

What is the fastest way to get rid of poison ivy?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
lemonie9 years ago
The nasty stuff is phenolic, but I'm sure there is pleny of advise on the internet.

L
iman9 years ago
I hate poison ivy, I have been allergic to since I was little "I swell up like a toad" :P
when you first notice the rash take a cold shower rinse off good then scrub like mad with a wash cloth, then change all your cloths and DO NOT ITCH you can get an infection, It should go away in about a week
P.S calamine lotion stops the itch for a while.
Bran9 years ago
I've never personally had poison ivy, though I spend a whole bunch of time in the woods -- I must be immune or something. Anyway, just from hearing all my friends, I can tell you this: Don't touch it with anything. Don't touch the rash with your hand and then use the bathroom. I'm not sure where it is, but if this is applicable - try getting someone to stick some duct tape to it, then pull it off. Apparently the duct tape is sticky enough to pull the itch-creating liquids off of your arm. Sorry, that's about it. Really, though, don't use the bathroom if you've touched the rash.
NachoMahma Bran9 years ago
> I must be immune or something . From what I've read, no one is immune to poison ivy, just some ppl don't have much of a reaction. . You _can_ develop a sensitivity - I used to have almost zero reaction to poison ivy, but after getting accidentally covered with the stuff, I will now develop a rash.
Bran NachoMahma9 years ago
While I didn't really mean it seriously, that's a pretty interesting bit of info you have there. I participate in the Academic Bowl at my school, so I remember things like that.
Pat Sowers (author)  Bran9 years ago
i get it all the time and i had hoped that there was a fast way to get rid of it. i usaly tough it out for two weeks and then its gone.
I've had it loads of times. Use some calamine lotion, or other itch preventer, wash your hands a lot, never touch it. Other than that, you just have to tough it out. If you absolutely have to itch, use a tissue/paper towel, and then throw it out. FUN FACT: The skin on your palms and the soles of you feet is the thickest of your body. That's why you can't get poison ivy on them.
Pat Sowers (author)  Weissensteinburg9 years ago
i get it all the time and i had hoped that there was a fast way to get rid of it. i usaly tough it out for two weeks and then its gone.
NachoMahma9 years ago
. I don't know how to clear it up any faster, but keeping the area dry (shaken, not stirred heehee) will help. Clean frequently and use Calamine or rubbing alcohol. . Do not let any fluid from the rash/blisters get on other body parts as this will spread the rash (evidently, the fluid will still contain the "oils" that cause the reaction). As others have mentioned, some body parts are much worse than others. ;) . I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not one should pop the blisters. . Scratching is bad because it can spread the oils and cause skin breaks that can invite infection. . Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Pat Sowers (author) 9 years ago
i get it all the time and i had hoped that there was a fast way to get rid of it. i usaly tough it out for two weeks and then its gone.