The materials list includes 2x4" timber, #10 Biscuits, screws, nails, glue and some small hinges
The 'power tool' equipment used includes table saw, mitre saw, biscuit jointer, router table and a sander
Step 1: Prepare the 2x4
With lengths roughly cut, next I ran all of the pieces through the table saw, with the width set just enough to remove the rounded edges on both side. Resetting the saw, I then split the lengths into two (three for the door panel) and started gluing panels together (keeping an eye on the value of book-matching the door styles)
I do own (and would have liked to have used) a jointer to run the glued edges, but it's not in excellent shape and would (as it's currently not calibrated very well) probably have made things worse.
Rather than ripping up another length of 2x4, I ripped the door styles (in the same style) from some scrap 2x3.
Step 2: Jointing Panels
When jointing, I laid the pairs together and pencil marked the edges to join, with further indicators (across the join) about every 10" where biscuits would be placed. A test cut on scrap material to check the depth and fit of the biscuits is advisable.
Note: for around £50, the investment in the jointer is certainly a good one, as the process is very quick and easy.
Step 3: Carcass Construction
The red belts are on two uprights/inside sheves (central section) which have been joined with biscuits.
Fixings from the outside edges are screws as they will not be visible, when installed.
Lots of sanding!
Then some more sanding!
With the carcass construction completed, a test fit and the moment of truth ... it fits.
Step 4: The Doors
After cutting the wood pieces to length, I cut a rabbit on all the pieces (using the router table and setting the fences). On the two longer sides, the rabbit stops short.
Slight mistake for the good, I think ... I didn't measure (oops) the thickness of the door panels against the depth of the rabbit. But rather than increase the depth of the rabbit, I opted to add a decorative rabbit around the panels, so that some of the rabbit cut would be revealed on the face side.
A few small dots of glue and the panels are pinned in place.
Final step here is to scribe the doors against the carcass and trim them to fit neatly, add the hinges, install them and the one thing that I forgot ... add a couple of small handles.
For the moment, I am leaving this unfinished, but expect to be priming and painting it to match the rest of the bathroom.