http://www.vintageprojects.com/boats/folding-kayak.pdf (original plans)
I've attempted to gather the most helpful tips and modification from each set of plans.
The kayak is made of plywood and canvas, and is bonded together with contact cement. The entire boat is coated in latex primer and paint, which waterproofs it. It folds up for easy storage, and is relatively easy to carry short distances.
Step 1: Gather and Prepare Materials
- 2 - 1/4" 4' x 8' Sheets Untreated Plywood, smooth on one side
- 1 piece wood lath
- 1" x 2" wood for seat support rails (about 2' - 3')
- Exterior Latex Primer
- Exterior Latex Paint
- 200" Heavy Canvas, untreated
- Waterproof Wood Glue
- 2 - 2" Screws and Matching Nuts
- Heavy Duty Velcro
- Contact Cement (the strong stuff that creates fumes that will explode without good ventilation!)
- 6 or more - "C" Clamps
One of the sheets of plywood must be cut into four 1' x 8' pieces, the home improvement store will likely make these cuts for you for free if you ask.