This Instructable covers building my available Full 8"x8" 32 LED Infinity Mirror Kit or re-create it with your own materials such as acrylic or hardboard sheet. It also could be scaled up or down to suit. Plans are included in the ZIP below.
The Kit contains everything needed to recreate this project. Everything from high-quality glass mirrors, parts to build a durable plastic frame, 32x LEDs( color's are buyers choice), LED Controller kit, DC Jack, Wall-Wart Power Supply and wire. Just supply some spray paint and a few tools.
With an overall dimension of 12" x 12" x 2.25" and 32x 5mm LEDs with controller.
I can also put together custom kits, if you would like to supply some of your own parts or if you want some of the steps/parts built for you. Just PM me or Contact Me
If you would like to re-create this project with out a kit. There is a diagram in the ZIP below with info on the pieces required to build the frame. Acrylic, Hard-Board, Wood, Styrene, plywood can be used to build the frame.
There are two ways to build this. With or without a controller. This Instructable will cover building with a controller. But there will be notes on what to do if you want an always on version, if you are using all Auto-Fade LEDs then a controller will not need to be used.
I have built of few different Infinity Mirrors, Check out My Gallery
Disclaimer: This project is potentially dangerous. The Author is not responsible in any way for any damages or injury's resulting from its use.
Step 1: Supplies and Parts
This Instructable has been updated with better information and better construction, please view the 10" x 10" LED Infinity Mirror Instructable
Everything is Included in the Full 8"x8" Infinity Mirror Kit (Discontinued in Favor of the 10" x 10" Kit)
- 1x 8.5"x8.5" 1/8" Glass or Acrylic Mirror
- 1x 8.5"X8.5" Two-Way Mirror, kit includes 1/4" thick MirrorPane( brand name) *Careful the silvered side is easily scratched.
- 4x Side Pieces*, measuring 11.9" x 2.25"
- 4x Inner Walls*, 8.6" x 2"
- 4x Mitered Front Pieces*, 12" x 2", 45deg miters
- Pieces to hold the mirrors
- 32x 5mm LEDs, diffused or water clear. Try Auto-Change LEDs
- 8 Channel LED Controller
- Stranded wire ~22ga. 8+ ft.
- Solid Strand wire, 22ga, 1 ft.
- 5v DC Power Supply with Matching Barrel Jack
- Krylon Fusion - Black or chosen color
- Soldering Pencil
- Tools for PCB building. (diagnol cutters, wire stripper, ect.)
- Hot Glue
- Small flat-point screw driver
- 5/16" Drill Bit*** and power drill
* The frame pieces included in the kit are Opaque 100mil Polystyrene. Acrylic could be substituted, it is harder to work with, but if you can make clean cuts its possible. Hard-Board ( Masonite ) could also be used, won't look as nice finished though. The same measurements can be used if the material is 100mil ( 0.1" ) otherwise adjust. Ex: 125mil acrylic, change the side piece from 11.9" to 11.875" & inner wall 8.6" 8.7" (they can be over length)
- The kit is supplied with a special glue for Polystyrene.
- Acrylic can use Methylene Chloride (Acrylic Cement, availible at hobby/crafts store) with chips of acrylic dissolved in it. Start with few chips and keep adding till its thick as corn syrup.
- Hard-Board, use a quality wood glue.
- Ask for the power and button holes to be drilled for you when purchasing your kit. Free of charge