In this instructables we update the old tin can candle lantern, to the new improved Way-Cool LED Tin Can Lantern. The LED tin can lantern is a neat way to light up your backyard or camp ground with interesting patterns of brilliant LED lights. You too can make your own LED Tin Can Lantern just like this one; it is easy and fun to build to bring the night into the LED light.
Summary: The Blue LED shine through the small holes punched out from a quart size tin paint can. It is neat how the bright LED light shines the punched out pattern on the ground around it.
Draw inspiration from the pictures and the idea to get your creative juices flowing in what you can do with this unique technique in LED lighting. Enjoy
Step 1: Design and Materials
Find a neat and interesting pattern on the internet or make up your own. For some ideas to get your creative juices flowing try Googling “Tin Can Lantern”, ” Tin Can Light”. I used two leaf patterns and a tree pattern. At the hardware store go to the paint department and buy a metal quart size paint can for making the LED tin can lantern. You can also use any tin can from beans or soup etc, but you need a lid.
1. Tin can with lid. Quart size is good
2. Printed out paper pattern or design
5. Awl or Ice pick (smaller tips work the best)
6. Wire for tin can handle (metal hanger or 16 gauge or type wire)
7. LED light circuit with batteries for illumination
8. Cotton towel (keeps can from rolling while punching holes)
10. Freezer (prevents the tin can from denting during hole punching)