This adorable costume was made for Martha Stewart's dog, Sharkey, for her Petacular Halloween Show! It can be made easily with a low cost recycled fiber optic toy, felt, and some cute little pom poms!
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- DOWNLOAD THE COSTUME PATTERN HERE
- Fiber-optic strands
- Electrical tape
- Floral wire
- Bead crimp tool
- Travel aspirin bottle * (cylinder-shaped – we used Excedrin brand)
- Silver reflective paper
- 5-millimeter LED light (Link)
- 1-inch diameter button (or same size as the base of your bottle)
- Butt splice connectors (Link) or Crimp-on connectors (Link)
- Red "+" wire (Link) **
- Black "-" wire (Link) **
- 1/2 yard of green felt (we used a nice wool felt)
- 1/2 yard felt for lining (again, I used wool)
- 1/4 yard of white tulle (outside dandelion puff fabric)
- 1/4 yard of double thick cotton batting (inner dandelion puff material)
- Adhesive Velcro dots
- 2 AAA Batteries an holder (Link)
- Sewing machine
- Lengths of Velcro for straps
- Needle and thread for hand-sewing
- Yellow craft pom poms
- Hot glue and gun
* The size of your tube determines the size of your bundle, so if you want to use less fibers, you can use a smaller tube like a chaptstick container.
**You don't need much wire, so an option is to open inside of an old telephone cable and pull the wires out.
Step 2: Make the fiber optic bundle
Start with a bunch of fiber-optic strands -- about the diameter of a nickel. Cut the entire bunch to an even 20 inches, making sure the wires are all flush on the bottom. Then, wrap the strands with electrical tape 1/2 inch from one end to hold them in place. Finally, very tightly wind floral wire over the electrical tape multiple times to secure. Test to make sure that the strands do not fall out - if they do, tighten the wire. If needed, cut all the ends of the fiber-optics along the bottom to ensure they are even.
[Tip: Wrap with electrical tape on top of the wire to keep the wire from moving around]