I was disappointed recently to find that there are no instructables on making wooden bowls with a scroll saw, even though there are lots of books published on the subject. So I've decided to fill the gap.
All you'll need is a scroll saw and a few other tools to get started. I like this project because it minimizes the amount of wasted wood (unlike bowls made with a lathe) and the bowls produced have very interesting designs. It's also surprisingly easy, as long as you have the patience to sand it to perfection... So let's get started!
I also wanted to thank my wife Trish, who inspired and helped me to tackle this project.
Step 1: Materials
The following tools are mandatory:
- Table Saw
- Miter Saw
- Drill Press with adjustable stage (For different angles)
- Belt/Disc Sander
- Digital Caliper/straight edge
- Wood glue
- Scroll saw blades (yes - they will break often)
- Clamps, clamps, and more clamps
- Sand paper and sand paper belts for sanders
- Varnish (and/or stain, depending on what you want to do)
- At least 1 board foot of wood, can be pieces of various woods